Note: Apologies for the long silence - mainly a result of poor internet connections in Myanmar and censorship of Blogger in China! Will now be playing some serious catch-up!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I arrived in Yangon feeling pretty shattered having not really slept on the journey over. I checked in to my apartment (I'd decided to stay in an airbnb rental as hotels in Yangon are notoriously over-priced and poor quality) and had an extended nap before venturing out to explore!
Myanmar is a country undergoing rapid change. Up until 2010, it was subject to a tourism boycott and economic sanctions as a
result of mass human rights abuses by the ruling military regime. Then, a
quasi-civilian government was sworn in and democratic leader Aung San Suu Kyi
was released from house arrest and as sanctions have eased, foreign investment
and visitors have flooded in.
I was hoping
to make it here before outside influences had made too much of an impact, and I
think I did (just!) but it’s clear that the wheels are already in rapid
motion. Initially Yangon felt much like any other big Asian city – the route from the airport took me along wide, six-lane roads jammed with traffic and past huge billboards
advertising Samsung, Apple and Coca Cola. But as I looked closer the
differences started to emerge. The (mainly colonial) buildings were mostly
dilapidated, the pavements were rife with potholes and so poorly lit that most
locals preferred to walk in the road instead, and most notably, I only saw two
other white people all evening! I received quite a few stares initially but
once I’d given them a big smile I got the same back in return!
 |
| Yangon: not the most attractive capital city in the world |
It was dusk when I wandered into the centre and the pavements were crowded with local
people sitting out on little plastic stools, having tea. As I passed one
tea-house the owner waved to me and motioned the action of drinking tea – a
universal language! - so I decided to pull up a stool. He brought me a small
cup of sweet tea with condensed milk (Indian style) as well as a pot of weak
Chinese tea which is apparently free and unlimited when you buy anything. I did
my first attempt at a Burmese “thank you” and the man’s face broke into a huge
grin! He was so excited that he started telling all of the other guests what
I’d said (I think he was complimenting rather than mocking me anyway!). It
reminded me how nice it is to have a simple little connection with someone with
whom you have no common background or language. It’s good to be travelling
again!
 |
| A typical pavement tea-shop |
I’m doing my
Myanmar trip in a slightly back-to-front way. My dear friend Emmeline (who also
visited Nepal and Bhutan with me) is arriving next Saturday to travel with me
for two weeks. Therefore I’m saving the “major attractions” until she arrives
and am doing the slightly more off-the-beaten-path places first! So the next
morning I was up early to catch a train down to Kyaikto, home of the Golden
Rock: a major pilgrimage site for Burmese Buddhists.
The
experience got off to a good start at the station, where the staff were all
friendly and helpful even though none of them really spoke English. There was a huge sign hanging in the station saying “be kind to tourists and
look after them” which seemed to bode well! I found my way to the platform
and another guard rushed over to help me find the correct carriage and seat,
where I settled down for the 5-hour journey. I was the only foreigner in the
carriage (and on the whole train I think!).
As soon as we set off I instantly loved it. I
love the rhythmic sway and clickety-clack of the train. And you just get to
witness such a slice of life that you don’t get so much on buses, where you’re
mostly on a motorway or other similarly busy road. As we passed through the
over-crowded suburbs, many houses and blocks of apartments backed onto the
rails and I could glimpse women washing their hair with buckets of water
outside, hanging out their washing on the roof, etc.
Soon we left the city
behind us and were out in the country. It’s the very end of the rainy season
now and the grass is so, so green. People are of course much poorer here, tiny
houses made of palm leaves were dotted through the fields, usually beneath a
big tree (it gets into the mid 40’s in summer!).
 |
| The traditional form of air-con |
 |
| Rural life |
Intermittently we’d stop
at tiny rural stations where women would climb on board selling fruit or water
or even thanakha – a traditional face paint which most of the women wear
here (it’s quite bizarre – I’m still trying to get a photo!). I was always
gazing out of the window soaking it all in and so invariably often caught the
attention of those locals waiting on the platforms and when I caught their eye we’d
exchange smiles or nods or a wave. It was really heart-warming. In one village
the children had just come out of school at lunchtime, and so I got a LOT of
excited waves there!
I’d read a lot of things to warn me off the trains in Myanmar. They are notoriously slow, often subject to severe delays and not reputed to be very safe, with stories of derailments, wheels falling off, etc. However I really enjoy travelling by train and have much preferred them to buses ever since I was little. Finally I decided not to risk taking them for a long, overnight journey, but to try them out on a couple of (relatively) short 5-hour ones. And I’m so glad I did! That said I have never experienced such a BUMPY ride! Not only did it lurch from side to side but bounced up and down so vigorously that I thought I might be thrown out of my seat! The only way to properly convey this is to share this little video and please note I was holding the camera completely steady at the time!
Finally we
drew into the small station of Kyaikto (the guard had told one of my fellow
passengers to alert me when we arrived) and I gathered my belongings and jumped
down. I knew I had to try to get a pick-up truck to the nearby village of
Kinpun, in order to get another truck up the mountain to the Golden Rock. I was
a bit concerned initially as Kyaikto was a very small station with a lot of
locals around but no other tourists in sight. Fortunately as I walked up the
stairs and out of the main part of the station I could see a few trucks parked
up so I wandered in that direction and was soon spotted by a driver who called
me over. It was one of those small trucks with wooden benches on either side
where I was crammed in amongst the locals and in the middle were huge sacks of
potatoes, baskets of vegetables and two live ducks. It was only after we set
off and I felt something tickling my ankle that I realised there was a sack of
(live) chickens under my seat! It was very surreal to think that less than 48
hours earlier I’d been in England! Off we went, bumping along the road and
picking up a few more locals along the way (these ones had to sit on the roof).
When we got
to Kinpun someone else directed me to a different bus stand where I could find
a pick-up truck to take me up the mountain. This was NOT what I was expecting:
it was the size/ height of an actual lorry, so I had to climb up a ladder to
get on.
 |
| My transportation for the final part of the journey |
To me it appeared that it was already full up but of course they’ll
always try to cram some more in so people were directed to budge up and swap
places and a tiny space was found for me in the middle, where I had to step
over quite a few people to edge through and ended up with my knees in someone’s
back and someone else’s knees in mine! The front few rows were absolutely
stacked with stuff that the pilgrims were taking up with them (they stay in
rest shelters on the mountain top). I was confused to see that the two young
girls in front of me were carrying a Samsung 32” TV box across their lap –
presumably that’s not what was inside though! No sooner had we set off than the
downpour started and I felt a nudge, and the couple sitting next to me offered
me the edge of the huge piece of plastic which they were holding over their
heads! I was quite touched, although really it just served to drip water off
the end and into my lap. All part of the fun though – now if only I’d thought
to put the newly-bought waterproof cover on my rucksack before loading it onto
the back...
Finally at the top of the mountain at 3pm – only 9 hours after
setting off(!) and I was ready for a little lie-down!
 |
| View from my bedroom - not bad! |
Finally at
5pm I took the short stroll over to the Golden Rock itself. This huge
gold-plated boulder balances precariously on the edge of a mountain. Legend has
it that it maintains its balance due to a precisely placed Buddha hair inside
the stupa! It was quite a serene sight, perched on the edge of the cliff,
with a beautiful view spreading out behind it. Men were allowed to go up and
put gold leaf onto the side but women had to stay back! As it started to get
dark I wandered back to my hotel and enjoyed a lovely meal. I was intending to
go back again for sunrise the next morning and yes I did wake up for it, but it
was pouring with rain and really cloudy so I decided there was no point. All in all I spent about 20 minutes at the rock itself - I’m not sure
it would have been worth such a long journey, if the journey itself hadn't been
so much fun!
 |
| The Golden Rock |
 |
| Men add gold to the rock, women just decorate the railings! |
 |
| Pilgrims pay their respects |
I took the
two pick-ups back down to Kyaikto station where I’d arrived in plenty of time
to buy my onward ticket to the small town of Mawlamyine – another five hours
further South by train. I had to wait around for a couple of hours (train was
late) and again attracted a fair bit of attention in the station including a
whole family who lined their children up to have their photos taken with me! As
I sat there in the plastic orange seats, I felt a presence behind me
accompanied by a strange musty smell, and when I turned around there was a big
hairy goat scratching itself on the back of my seat. I was not expecting that
at all and I think my surprise must have shown on my face as it resulted in a
lot more smiles and giggles from the locals!
 |
| Kyaikto Railway Station: no English spoken here! |
 |
| Here comes the train again! |
Back on the train again and
another thoroughly enjoyable journey onward to Mawlamyine where I then took a
motorbike taxi to my hotel. Ahh how I’ve missed the motorbikes!
 |
| View from train: Kyaikto to Mawlamyine |
 |
| More rural life |
Amazing - and well done for surviving the rock and roll train ride!
ReplyDelete