From Shanghai
I flew to Hong Kong to visit my dear friend Vicki, who has recently moved there
along with husband Martyn and little daughter Philippa. It was quite a relief to find myself back in a place where things worked smoothly and as you'd expect them to!
My first day was a Friday, so Vicki was at work and I spent the day with Marty and Pips. We took a ride on the historic peak tram up to Victoria Peak for great views over the city, wandered through the
city park, did a bit of shopping and made various stops for lunch, coffee and babyccinos
along the way.
 |
| First babyccino of the day |
 |
| The view from Victoria Peak |
 |
| Me on the Peak |
That evening
we met Vicki from work and went for dinner at an amazing Italian restaurant
where I was ecstatic to be reunited with cheese, charcuterie and exceptional
red wine! Vicki and I then dropped the others back home and moved on for
cocktails at a very cool bar with a roof-top terrace overlooking the city. On
our way home, around 11:30pm, we passed an attractive-looking wine bar and
decided to stop in for “just one more glass”… finally making it home close to 5am. For some ungodly reason we also had a kebab and pizza on the way
back, which was really a huge insult to the Italian food from earlier on!
 |
| Cocktails overlooking the city |
 |
| I think this was the turning point, after which things started to get messy |
The next day
was something of a write-off and I learnt the hard way that 2-year-olds
have no sympathy for hangovers. Thankfully we had
the chance to crash out again during Pippa’s afternoon nap.
Later we took
the famous Star Ferry over to Kowloon where we watched the evening light show
over the city and then even managed a drink and a farewell cheese plate before
I had to head back to the airport.
I have to say that Hong Kong has the most
efficient airport I have ever been to: I was able to check in and drop my bags
off in the city centre during the afternoon and in the evening I was at my departure gate 30 minutes after leaving the city centre! Magic! (And a far cry from China!)
 |
| "Why are Mummy and Auntie Kate so boring today?!" |
 |
| Hair of the dog |
I forgot Vicki moved to Hong Kong. So glad you got to see her!! Love how you wrote this piece. My favorite line: "I learnt the hard way that 2-year-olds have no sympathy for hangovers."
ReplyDelete