Well, what an incredible ten months it has been. I've taken planes, trains and automobiles, local buses, auto-rickshaws, cyclo-rickshaws, safa-tempos, moto-remorques and daladalas to transport me across 15 countries and all the way around the world! I've soaked up stunning landscapes, explored vibrant cities, relaxed on idyllic beaches, experienced fascinating cultures, spotted amazing animals in the wild and, best of all, met some really interesting and inspirational people and made brilliant new friends all over the world - both locals and fellow travellers alike. And I managed it without sustaining any injuries, getting mugged, losing my luggage or suffering any food poisoning! Phew!
It's been quite a journey emotionally too. When I set off last year I was in a bit of a mess. Somewhere on the way through South America I started to get my confidence and spirit back and at some point in Asia I started feeling totally happy and content. Now I'd say I'm the happiest and most relaxed I have ever been. It's undoubtedly been the best experience of my life.
I suppose I was hoping that at some point on the journey I'd have a "light-bulb" moment about what I want to do with the rest of my life (career-wise) but I'll admit that didn't really happen. BUT there's still time for that, as in fact, this isn't the end of my travels!
I'd always wanted to do a full year and right from the beginning I was toying with the idea of doing another month of travel after the weddings which have brought me back home in August. Then whilst I was in Australia, a good friend pointed out that if there's places I still really want to see, I should take advantage of this "time out" from work in which to see them, as it will be harder to do any lengthy trips once I get back into a job. It didn't take too much to convince me (although of course I can't go EVERYWHERE I want to go!). At this stage my plan is to head back off to China and Myanmar (which had to be squeezed out of this first trip), before returning to Mambo Viewpoint in Tanzania to help them with some internet stuff. Things may change (I'll admit that I'm loving being home so much that part of me doesn't want to leave again!) but at this stage, I should be back on the road in September! Stay tuned for more blog posts then!
Until then, I'll be making the most of the time with my loved ones. Over the next few weeks I'll watch two of my closest friends get married (not to each other!), I'll meet the new babies of three other very dear friends who were born after I left (and are not really babies any more) and I'll spend some long overdue quality time with my family, including my two beautiful nieces who deserve a little more of Auntie Kate's attention! I'm feeling pretty elated to be home!
It's been quite a journey emotionally too. When I set off last year I was in a bit of a mess. Somewhere on the way through South America I started to get my confidence and spirit back and at some point in Asia I started feeling totally happy and content. Now I'd say I'm the happiest and most relaxed I have ever been. It's undoubtedly been the best experience of my life.
I suppose I was hoping that at some point on the journey I'd have a "light-bulb" moment about what I want to do with the rest of my life (career-wise) but I'll admit that didn't really happen. BUT there's still time for that, as in fact, this isn't the end of my travels!
I'd always wanted to do a full year and right from the beginning I was toying with the idea of doing another month of travel after the weddings which have brought me back home in August. Then whilst I was in Australia, a good friend pointed out that if there's places I still really want to see, I should take advantage of this "time out" from work in which to see them, as it will be harder to do any lengthy trips once I get back into a job. It didn't take too much to convince me (although of course I can't go EVERYWHERE I want to go!). At this stage my plan is to head back off to China and Myanmar (which had to be squeezed out of this first trip), before returning to Mambo Viewpoint in Tanzania to help them with some internet stuff. Things may change (I'll admit that I'm loving being home so much that part of me doesn't want to leave again!) but at this stage, I should be back on the road in September! Stay tuned for more blog posts then!
Until then, I'll be making the most of the time with my loved ones. Over the next few weeks I'll watch two of my closest friends get married (not to each other!), I'll meet the new babies of three other very dear friends who were born after I left (and are not really babies any more) and I'll spend some long overdue quality time with my family, including my two beautiful nieces who deserve a little more of Auntie Kate's attention! I'm feeling pretty elated to be home!
| Emerging from International Arrivals at London Gatwick Airport |
looking forward to seeing you this weekend in nh!
ReplyDeleteIt'll never be the end of the road for you Kate! Have really enjoyed following your adventure, thanks so much for blogging and letting me travel vicariously though you!
ReplyDelete