With six days on hand I decided to split my time between the capital Zanzibar Town (specifically its historic centre, Stone Town) and two of the east coast beaches: Matemwe and Paje. There's plenty of things to do here, including spice tours and dolphin-watching and trips to see giant tortoises, but the only thing on my agenda was complete and utter relaxation!
First up, Stone Town. The old town has a mix of Arab, Persian, Indian and European influences and a lot of character: white-washed stone buildings, ornately-carved wooden doors and a maze of tiny alleyways you could get lost in. Unfortunately the downside was the number of touts hassling me wherever I went. I guess I've had this a lot over the past months but my tolerance level is rapidly diminishing!
| Ornate Door |
| Never seen this before: long wooden poles nailed into the house to stop it falling down...?! |
| Persian Baths |
The next day I took a daladala over to the east coast and the small fishing village of Matemwe. On the way through the alleyways to the daladala station, I met a man who started chatting and then showed me the way to the station and helped me find the right daladala. He didn't ask for money, or try to sell me anything, or ask if I was married: it turns out he had no ulterior motive at all and was just being friendly and helpful! My faith in humanity was restored!
| Daladala: not the most luxurious form of transport, but definitely an authentic local experience! |
When I was working in the US, one of my big clients was Airbnb (an online marketplace for vacation rentals - anyone who doesn't know them... you should!). When I left, they very generously gave me a $150 voucher as a thank you/ goodbye gift. Finally I'd found the right moment to use it: to treat myself to two nights in this fabulous home, situated right on the sand in one of the most beautiful, pristine and deserted stretches of Matemwe beach. The house itself was stunning and my en-suite bedroom was one of the most gorgeous rooms I've seen and I loved it even more as it felt like a home, something you obviously can't get in a hotel.
| The view in one direction when you step out of the house.... |
| And the view in the other direction! |
| Seaweed farm in the shallows |
| A woman sorts through the seaweed she has collected |
| Seaweed drying in the sun |
| Matemwe Beach from the water |
| The beach at Paje |
| The water was SO clear and blue |
| Where to next?! |
| It's been quite a journey! |
Kate, it has been such an incredible journey for you - Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Dad and I are so looking forward to seeing you - tomorrow:-) Safe Journey Home. Much love xxxx
ReplyDeleteThank you! Still one "final thoughts" post to come... but that can wait! Can't wait to see you both xxxxxxx
Delete