Sunday, 14 July 2013

A quick stop in Bangkok

After bidding farewell to Boys Town, I took a bus down to Bangkok, ready for my flight to Tanzania! I'd spent a weekend in Bangkok once before so didn't feel the need to re-visit any of the main sights and instead spent the day stocking up on a few things I needed for Africa! 

I also went for a lovely brunch with an old university friend, Kathy, who is now living and working as a teacher in Bangkok. It was great to see her and catch up on the last ~8 years!
Kathy and I, post-brunch!
Since it was my last night in Asia I had also treated myself to a nicer hotel: the Shanghai Mansion in Chinatown. I'd stayed here on my first visit, and really loved it... although it was called the Shanghai Inn back then! It's a beautiful boutique hotel with so much character and the service is exceptional. Not in a fancy 5-star way, but in a thoughtful way with lots of nice little touches like a little booklet with a walking tour of the best places to eat in Chinatown! I think it's one of my favourite hotels anywhere in the world and if anyone is visiting Bangkok, I really can't recommend it highly enough (and at $50/ £33 a night it's not exactly breaking the bank!).
Shanghai Mansion: somewhat nicer than a hostel...

No comments:

Post a Comment