Today marks the beginning of a new chapter of my life. I’m about to set off on a round-the-world trip which will (I hope) last the best part of a year. Lots of people have commented on how calm I am, and to be honest that’s because it still doesn’t feel real. I’m just waiting for it to hit me...
Its almost 1am and I’m sitting at JFK airport waiting for the first (international) flight on my ticket, which will take me down to Bogotá, Colombia. I’m particularly excited about this first country. Its a place which has provoked very different reactions in the people I've told about my trip. Those who have never been to Colombia have mostly been a bit surprised or concerned: there are clearly still many negative preconceptions about this country. In contrast, those people who HAVE visited Colombia have raved about it, and most have said it was their favourite place in South America. I don't expect to see as many tourists there as I will in most of the other countries I'll visit, and I think that's partly why I'm looking forward to it.
The other reason for my excitement is a Skype call which I had yesterday with some brand new friends Mike and Marci (who are very good friends of my very good friend, Emmeline). Marci is Colombian, and when she and Mike heard about my trip they suggested that we set up a call so that they could give me some recommendations. This was already kind enough of them, but I was completely blown away when Marci told me that she has friends and family in each of the places I'm planning to visit, and that she would call them right away to see if I could stay with them! Within an hour we were back on Skype and she'd planned out most of my trip! I'll be heading straight to her brother's house when I arrive in Bogotá at 7am today.
I'm so overwhelmed by this generosity - Marci doesn't even know me! - and its obviously going to make a huge difference to my experience. Its great that I'll have the chance to meet so many Colombian people, and see the country through their eyes, and of course I'll have access to the very best travel advisers: the locals!
Next update will be from Colombia!
Its almost 1am and I’m sitting at JFK airport waiting for the first (international) flight on my ticket, which will take me down to Bogotá, Colombia. I’m particularly excited about this first country. Its a place which has provoked very different reactions in the people I've told about my trip. Those who have never been to Colombia have mostly been a bit surprised or concerned: there are clearly still many negative preconceptions about this country. In contrast, those people who HAVE visited Colombia have raved about it, and most have said it was their favourite place in South America. I don't expect to see as many tourists there as I will in most of the other countries I'll visit, and I think that's partly why I'm looking forward to it.
The other reason for my excitement is a Skype call which I had yesterday with some brand new friends Mike and Marci (who are very good friends of my very good friend, Emmeline). Marci is Colombian, and when she and Mike heard about my trip they suggested that we set up a call so that they could give me some recommendations. This was already kind enough of them, but I was completely blown away when Marci told me that she has friends and family in each of the places I'm planning to visit, and that she would call them right away to see if I could stay with them! Within an hour we were back on Skype and she'd planned out most of my trip! I'll be heading straight to her brother's house when I arrive in Bogotá at 7am today.
I'm so overwhelmed by this generosity - Marci doesn't even know me! - and its obviously going to make a huge difference to my experience. Its great that I'll have the chance to meet so many Colombian people, and see the country through their eyes, and of course I'll have access to the very best travel advisers: the locals!
Next update will be from Colombia!
| Looking a lot nicer than I will do for the next 10 months! |
Sounds like a great start!
ReplyDelete