Saturday, 29 June 2013

Temple-tastic

I then had a further two days of sightseeing with no guide, but using the same "remorque"(motorbike-drawn tuk-tuk) driver. He was a really sweet guy and actually thanked me at the end for giving him three days' work - it's very much the low season now and although it still seemed busy to me, there aren't enough tourists to provide regular work for all of the guides and drivers.
A remorque: my preferred mode of transport in Siem Reap!
Given that I really liked the jungle temple on day one, I decided to head to an even more "jungle-y" one on day two! Beng Mealea is also two hours outside of Siem Reap so it was a nice opportunity to see more of the countryside. 
Typical rural house (on stilts due to the rising water levels during monsoon)
Three schoolchildren on a bicycle: standard
Passing traffic...
Truck piled with branches (and topped with a couple of people)
Beng Mealea was an even more overgrown and ruinous version of Ta Prohm. I had to pick my way over rubble and through vines which hung low over the path. The trees were weaving their way up between every crevice and almost devouring the stones! It was dark and shady and mysterious: very atmospheric!
Low-hanging vines, at Beng Mealea
Beautiful stonework amongst the rubble
The trees are taking over!
The central courtyard, now in ruins
Tree vs. Temple
On the way back to Siem Reap we visited the temples of the Roluos group: Lo Lei, Bakong and Preah Ko. These are the oldest temples at Angkor, built in the 9th century.
Lo Lei
Bakong
The moat at Bakong
Preah Ko
On the final day we headed to Bantei Srei, which is one of the most beautiful temples at Angkor. The stone is a pinkish colour and every building is covered in exquisite carvings.
Beautiful Bantei Srei
Incredible carvings at Bantei Srei
We stopped at Pre Rup on the way there and then visited Banteay Samré, Eastern Mebon, Ta Som, Preah Neak Pean and Preah Khan on the way back! Phew! Have I forgotten anyone?!
Pre Rup
Banteay Samré
Eastern Mebon
Ta Som
Preah Neak Pean
Preah Khan
Young boy sketching inside Preah Khan
By this point, I was getting very much "temple-d out". It's incredible that there are so many of them, and that they're still in such excellent condition overall, but after a while you start to see particular styles and features repeated over and over and it's hard not to become complacent. 

People say that a sunrise or sunset here is incredible, but unfortunately they neglect to mention that that is really only in the dry season! When you have thick black clouds covering the sky from morning to night, your chances are pretty slim! I did optimistically go to one last temple, Phnom Bakheng, on the final day just to see if there was any chance, but the sun disappeared behind the clouds at least an hour or two before it actually set. Oh well, another time maybe!
View of Angkor Wat from Phnom Bakheng (no sunset unfortunately)
Just as I ended my time in Vietnam with a motorbike tour, so I ended my time in Cambodia in a similarly appropriate way: with a Passion-fruit Daiquiri at the Foreign Correspondents' Club (Siem Reap branch!). Then it was time to cross the border into Laos!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sounds like Cambodia should be your next holiday destination! :)

      Delete
  2. Did you spot Indiana Jones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, nor Angelina Jolie I'm afraid. And yes I sussed out who the face behind the name was, a few comments back (when you signed it "Nikolai"). Not tired of travelling just yet, don't worry!

      Delete
  3. This is Nikolai by the way... No idea why it called me pukeko... Hope you aren't getting bored of travel yet, think of all of us at work!!

    ReplyDelete