Just a simple journey from A to B makes for an exciting experience here - cars, buses, trucks, motorbikes and auto-rickshaws jostle for space on the busy road, honking and weaving in between each other, narrowly avoiding the cows, slowly plodding down the centre of the road. Women in beautiful, brightly-coloured saris sit on the back of motorbikes, or walk alongside the dusty road, with baskets of produce or huge bundles of sticks or grass seemingly effortlessly balanced on their heads. Beside the road cows snooze, goats trot along, chickens peck at the dust... every few yards is another crazy or unique or beautiful sight, another picture perfect moment.
Bangalore was to be the setting for a reunion with my friend, Becky (currently on sabbatical and travelling through India for 6 weeks) as well as my Mum and Aunties Sonia and Sandra who were here to visit our relatives (nicely timed to coincide with my own visit!). Apparently I've neglected to mention this to countless people, but despite my pasty, pale complexion I actually have some Indian blood in me! More on that in the next post.
Becky’s brother- and sister-in-law live in Bangalore (her husband is Indian) and they had kindly invited me to stay with them. I arrived 12 hours late following delays to my flight out of Sydney and an unplanned overnight stopover in Kuala Lumpur so despite my initial high, my energy quickly flagged. I took a few hours of rest in the afternoon and then flagged down an auto-rickshaw to take me into the city centre to meet my Mum and Aunties for dinner and a much-needed cold Kingfisher beer!
The next day Becky, my family and I set out on a day trip to the city of Mysore, around 4 hours away by car. The main highlight of the city is the Maharaja’s palace, the former seat of the Wodeyar Maharajas, which is incredibly grand and ornate. I could just imagine the royal families holding court here before India’s Independence.
| Maharaja's Palace, Mysore |
![]() |
| As everyone knows, I love being the centre of attention |
| Om nom nom nom... |
Mum had a special moment here. Around 10 years ago she and my Dad came to India to see our relatives, and had visited this same market in Mysore. A young boy called Musamil had talked them over to his stall to show them how he rolled incense sticks and then ended up spending the afternoon showing them around the whole market (and refusing to take any payment for it, which is rare here!). 10 years later and Mum and I were called over by another young boy wanting to show us how to make incense. As we sat patiently watching, Mum told one of the other boys on the stall, the story of the young boy she’d met all those years ago and how she’d always remembered his name. Unbelievably, it turned out to be this guy’s brother, and he gave a shout and the now 23-year-old Musamil came running over! Of course they then invited us to sit down and take a chai with them, which we were only to happy to do!
| Musamil and Mum! |
While stuck in traffic I’d look into other cars and see people peering at us curiously. I’d smile and their faces would break into a huge grin and they’d start waving enthusiastically at us! Why do people never do this at home?!

Kate, you do describe the scenes so perfectly. Now I’m back in dreary UK but am again able to re-live those fantastic few days we were able to spend together.I'm so glad you love India. I do too:-) xx
ReplyDelete