For the rest of my first week I got stuck into the
Apprentice Reports, which involved visiting BTS students in three different
colleges in the nearby towns of Thirunagar and Theni. With the help of a translator, I asked them questions about the
course, their hobbies and interests, home situation, hopes for the future etc. I was also shown around the college facilities and met some of their
tutors.
This was my first chance to actually hear some of the children's stories, and it was pretty heart-breaking. Needless to say they all come from very difficult backgrounds: many were orphans or "semi-orphans", others had a father who had abandoned the family, or who is an alcoholic. The other parents were all casual labourers, without a steady income. Typically their parents can't afford to feed them or clothe them, which is when BTS steps in.
The first college I visited was an ITI (Industrial Training
Institute) where I met around 12 boys training to become Motor Vehicle
Mechanics, Air Conditioning Repair-men, Electricians etc. They were around 16-17
years old and of course weren’t particularly keen to open up about how they
were “feeling” so it was hard to bring much colour to my reports, but still
nice to see them laughing and joking together outside.
 |
| Boys Town Apprentices at the ITI |
The second two colleges were both nursing colleges (actually
one was located within a hospital, which was also interesting to see). These
girls have lessons or hospital work from 9am – 10pm, seven days a week! They
have no free time, but they don’t mind as they are all so determined to do well
and get good jobs so that they can help their families.
The Apprentices no longer live in the Boys and Girls Towns and most live in hostels on-site at the college. Some of the trainee nurses showed me their hostel. Still, there are 15 girls
sleeping in the same room. It was even harder to see that than it
was to see it for the younger children. Surely by 18 these young women should deserve
a bit of privacy and a space to call their own?
 |
| Girls "Bedroom" |
 |
| The Grounds of one of the Nursing Colleges |
As at the Girls Town, the kids were quick to latch on
to me – especially the girls. They all wanted to link arms, hold on to me, tell
me their names... I suspect they don’t get much individual attention or
affection and they’re craving it.
This made me even angrier when I discovered that
of the ~500 sponsors, less than a third actually send letters or gifts to their
sponsor child. Of course I’m thankful that they are funding their education,
food and housing, but honestly what does it take to write a postcard and stick
it in the post?! These children have so little and what they do have is shared
so some sort of individual, personal contact from the sponsors is really cherished. I had already decided beforehand that I’d like to sponsor a child here but
this has made me even more passionate about it... and I will send them stuff
every month! I’m going arrange this while I’m here so that I can meet my
sponsor child and give him/her a big hug before I leave!
 |
| The Young Nurses |
At the end of the week I was in for a bit of a treat,
as Joe Homan himself arrived to stay at the guest-house for a few days. He is
now 82 and not in the best of physical health but mentally he is still
on-the-ball and very much involved in the management of the
charity. He’s also a real character, regaling us with some great stories over
dinner, especially what it was like trying to get things up and running in
India in the 60's and of course numerous stories about the mischief the various
boys have got up to! It was really inspiring to think of everything he has
managed to achieve and all the lives he has changed. What a hero!
No comments:
Post a Comment