My next stop was Sydney, but I had quite a journey to get there!
When I booked my round-the-world ticket back in September, the travel agent advised me that it would be $1000 more expensive to take a direct flight from Santiago > Auckland, than it would be to go via Los Angeles. I decided to be sensible and take the cheaper option. Unfortunately the Santiago > LA and LA > Auckland routes also weren't direct, so my final route was Santiago > Lima > San Salvador > LA > Nadi > Auckland > Sydney. (Although I’d decided to cancel my trip to New Zealand, I wasn't able to cancel the flight, so finally I spent 6 hours in Auckland airport, which was rubbing salt in the wound somewhat!).
The only good part of all this, was that I had a 24-hour stopover in LA, and my good friend Hailey flew down from San Francisco to hang out with me. She picked me up from the airport and we stayed in a lovely Airbnb apartment which was a real luxury after all the hostels! The next day we went for an AMAZING brunch, a mani-pedi, a bit of shopping, coffee and a lovely dinner before she dropped me back at the airport. As much as I've loved all the new and unusual things I've seen over the last 4 months it was really nice to have such a “normal” Saturday!
Finally, having left Santiago on Friday morning, spending 30 hours on a plane and 20 hours at airports, passing through 7 countries and 3 continents, I landed in Sydney on Monday night!
When I booked my round-the-world ticket back in September, the travel agent advised me that it would be $1000 more expensive to take a direct flight from Santiago > Auckland, than it would be to go via Los Angeles. I decided to be sensible and take the cheaper option. Unfortunately the Santiago > LA and LA > Auckland routes also weren't direct, so my final route was Santiago > Lima > San Salvador > LA > Nadi > Auckland > Sydney. (Although I’d decided to cancel my trip to New Zealand, I wasn't able to cancel the flight, so finally I spent 6 hours in Auckland airport, which was rubbing salt in the wound somewhat!).
The only good part of all this, was that I had a 24-hour stopover in LA, and my good friend Hailey flew down from San Francisco to hang out with me. She picked me up from the airport and we stayed in a lovely Airbnb apartment which was a real luxury after all the hostels! The next day we went for an AMAZING brunch, a mani-pedi, a bit of shopping, coffee and a lovely dinner before she dropped me back at the airport. As much as I've loved all the new and unusual things I've seen over the last 4 months it was really nice to have such a “normal” Saturday!
Finally, having left Santiago on Friday morning, spending 30 hours on a plane and 20 hours at airports, passing through 7 countries and 3 continents, I landed in Sydney on Monday night!
| Hailey and I at The Grove in LA |
No comments:
Post a Comment