Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Hasta La Vista, South America!

Note: posted from Sydney - still a couple of weeks behind!

I'm writing this from El Salvador airport, whilst waiting for my onward connection to LA. I felt really sad to leave South America. It kind of hit me yesterday when I left the hostel for my final day out, and again this morning when I took my last taxi to the airport. I had a really amazing four months here - it feels like a lifetime ago that I turned up on Leo and Lina’s doorstep, in Bogota! In the beginning I wasn't sure how I'd feel about travelling on my own but I have really loved having the freedom. It’s done me the world of good and I feel like I've got a bit of self-confidence and a bit of energy back, which I lost for a little while last year.

Along the journey I've seen mountains, valleys, volcanoes, mines, glaciers, jungles, lakes, beaches, islands, vineyards, tiny villages and beautiful cities. I've had the best hot chocolate and the best ice cream of my life and some pretty good steak and red wine too! I've drunk home-grown coffee and I've chewed a lot of coca leaves. And most importantly I've met some really incredible, inspirational people  - both locals and travellers alike - who have really made this experience for me. I have made new friends from Colombia, the Galápagos, Bolivia, Argentina, the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden and Finland (hope I didn't miss anyone!).

Although the Spanish has been a challenge at times, I've really enjoyed the practice, and the feeling of reward when I actually understand stuff or people understand me! I’ll miss trying to speak a foreign language - no chance of that in Asia for sure!

So now, Part 1 of my trip is over and I'm off to Australia to catch up with some old friends, re-visit a few favourite restaurants and take it easy for a couple of weeks.. Then it’s on to Part 2 - Asia! I can’t wait for all the new experiences and the new friends I'll find there!

It's been an amazing four months!

No comments:

Post a Comment