Sunday, 5 January 2014

Final Thoughts!

What an incredible 15 months it has been! Travelling really was everything I dreamed it would be and it's hard to believe that the trip is over. Fortunately I can re-live the experience through this blog! I love looking through the photos and re-reading anecdotes I would otherwise have forgotten. At times it did feel like a bit of a burden but I'm so, so glad I kept it up and now have a permanent record of this most special period of my life. 

In the end I visited 18 countries and travelled through six continents. Wherever I went I discovered awe-inspiring beauty: from natural wonders like Torres del Paine national park and the Salar de Uyuni, to man-made masterpieces like the Golden Temple and the Great Wall of China. What a world we live in!


As I've mentioned before, one of the best parts of this experience was meeting so many inspirational people. Some crossed my path only briefly but left a lasting impression, like the American lady I met in Bolivia, who was travelling around the world on her own at the age of 69! Others will remain a part of my life, like my dear new friends at Mambo Viewpoint. Time and again I've been completely humbled by the warmth and generosity of the local people and now that I'm back home, I'm going to keep an eye out for people who need help - or maybe just a smile - and pass on the goodwill which was shown to me on so many occasions. 
Back for good... well, for a few more years at least.
I'm also really happy that I had this experience on my own. People have asked if I ever felt unsafe, or lonely, but I never did. In fact I'm sure I got to know more people – both locals and fellow travellers – than I would have done if I’d been with a friend or boyfriend. Most of all, I relished the sense of complete freedom: the opportunity to go wherever the wind took me. I learned a lot about what is and isn't important to me and I also discovered that I'm a lot stronger than I'd realised! When I left 15 months ago I was in a bit of a mess but now I'm feeling refreshed, confident in myself and happier than ever.

So what’s next? Well I guess I was hoping that at some point during the journey I'd have an epiphany about that, but the cynical side of me probably should have known it wasn't going to happen! So I'll be returning to the world of digital marketing but taking with me a new level of energy and motivation and an appetite for a new challenge. 
Outside of work I'll be aiming to speak more French, read avidly and spend a few nights a year under canvas as these were all things I loved doing while I was away. I also want to continue working with both of my special charities! 

I know I will never stop travelling - there's still so much of the world to explore and rather than "get it out of my system", this trip has just given me more inspiration! - however from now on it will have to be in two-week chunks. Right now, I'm so very happy to be back with my family and friends and to know that I don't have to leave them again any time soon.

Many people have asked me about the highlights of my trip so I thought I'd put together a proper list! It was too difficult to narrow it down to a top ten, so I give you instead, my Travel Top Twelve!

My Top Twelve Experiences (in chronological order)
1. Sleeping in a hammock at Tayrona National Park - COLOMBIA

I fell asleep to the sound of the ocean and the jungle and woke up to the most incredible sunrise I've ever seen. Plus there was the crazy showering-in-the-storm experience...


2. Coming face to face with a giant tortoise (and other animals) - THE GALAPAGOS

It was really special to be able to get so close up to so many unique animals. It's no wonder that the Galápagos are known as the enchanted isles!


3. Falling in love with Buenos Aires - ARGENTINA

I spent four weeks soaking up the blend of South American and European culture. The city had so much to offer: music, art, cafés, copious amounts of steak and wine and lots of brilliant new friends. 


4. Camping alone in Torres del Paine national park - CHILE

This was probably the most beautiful natural scenery I saw on the whole trip. The hiking was fantastic and I was delighted to find that I was capable of going off camping on my own... and loving it!


5. Volunteering with the Joe Homan Charity - INDIA

I discovered how amazing it feels to work on something truly meaningful! I was so moved by the beautiful, bubbly, loving children who were born into poverty, but are now being given a chance at a better life. 

6. Washing an elephant! - NEPAL

I felt like a big kid, splashing around and squealing as the elephant showered Emm and I with water and toppled us into the river again and again!


7. Running around a monastery in chain mail - BHUTAN

... and being cleansed of sin! I also had a fertility blessing, longevity prayer and a blessing by the Chief Abbot! Bhutan really was like a fairytale kingdom!


8. Riding a motorbike from Hue to Hoi An - VIETNAM

This was something I'd never usually do, and that felt good! The coastal scenery was breathtaking and the thrill of speeding around the hairpin bends on the mountain passes was truly unforgettable. 
9. On Safari - TANZANIA

I looked a huge elephant in the eye and really felt my place in the world! Watching the lion pride washing each other in between bouts of snoozing, was one of the coolest things I have seen.

10. Bonding with a local lady on the bus - MYANMAR

It may sound like a strange choice but it meant a lot to me! I was so overwhelmed by her warmth and generosity and we bonded even though we had no common language or background!

11. Walking the Great Wall - CHINA

I'd seen the wall countless times in photos, but it surpassed all my expectations in real life. Having so much time to hike along the wall, with no-one else around, was really wonderful.
12. Volunteering at Mambo Viewpoint - TANZANIA

This is one of the most special and inspirational places I have been. The most amazing work is being done there, to develop the village of Mambo. I really felt like part of the family. 


Until next time, thanks for reading!

1 comment: