I spent 2 weeks here this summer, and since I’m already feeling a bit pushed for time, I’d originally planned to head straight from Ecuador to Bolivia. However the cost of flying into La Paz, Bolivia was twice that of flying into Juliaca, Peru (3hrs from the Bolivian border), so I guess something was telling me to come back to this beautiful country. It also meant I’d have the chance to visit the islands of Lake Titicaca, which I hadn’t had time for during my last trip.
So here I am, in Puno, which is a relatively uninteresting city but for some reason I really like it! It feels a bit like an Asian city: noisy and chaotic and many of the roads are too narrow for cars so its swarming with tuk-tuks.
Puno is also at an elevation of 3800m above sea-level, and I’d flown here from sea-level, which is not really advised, so I took it easy for the first couple of days while my body acclimatised. Again no real problems with the altitude, apart from a touch of light-headedness and being out of breath after climbing one flight of stairs to my room at the hostel!
I did take a half-day trip to Sillustani: an archaeological site scattered with chullpas, or stone tombs, mostly built by the Colla people (an Aymara-speaking tribe that dominated the Titicaca region before the arrival of the Inca in the 15th century). The tombs look like towers and widen as they go up. The Colla built long stone ramps to raise the heavier stones to the top.
| Chullpa at Sillustani |
| The inner "uterus" of the tomb |
On our way back we visited one of the houses to see how the people live, and to take some touristy-y photos with llamas (I didn’t bother). Many of the houses here have 2 little ceramic bulls on top. These Toritos de Pucara are placed on the roof of a new house to bless the home and bring happiness, wealth and fertility to the family that lives there. I bought a couple when I got back to Puno!
| Toritos de Pucara, on the roof of a village house |
| The altiplano |
Hopefully not too captivating...says Mum:-)
ReplyDeleteDon't worry - I have a feeling I will visit Peru again, but only on holiday!
DeleteGoodness me Katie Driver you aren't half getting around.
ReplyDeleteLove the descriptions, and the "factoids" sounds as though you are having a great time.
This is only the beginning! I think I have 14 more countries to go... :)
Delete